Skip to main content

Limited Freedom


I decided to write this from the yesterday incident which I learnt something about parenting 101 from my lifetime mentor and partner, my husband.

Yesterday, when I picked my first son up from school, he was so excited to tell me about his exam results. As I have prayed that whatever results he received, I would gratefully accept it because he has done the best during the preparation, and we, as parents have done our best to prepare him so when he told me his results, I praised him.

Reaching home, suddenly he told me that he would be going to nearby mall meeting his friends for pokemon games. I was astounded and reacting in impulse, I said to him No, because we already had a plan, his younger brother had music lesson and papa needed to use the car for church ministry.
He started crying then he told me that he will call papa.

Before he called his dad, I texted my husband to explain the situation and he actually did call his dad.
I went inside the room to put the youngest son to sleep so I didn't know how's the conversation going. When I went out, I saw text messages that my husband allowed him to go there with two rules.
- he can't play pokemon games because he didn't have enough points
- he needed to stay there until 8pm when my husband will pick him up, even if his friends didn't show up

I still didn't feel good about let him wandering by himself at mall, so I persuaded him by dining at his favourite japanese restaurant later or playing pokemon at the place that we will go later, but it's not successful. He had already made his mind to meet his friends there.

So before picking my husband up, I dropped him off at that mall and reminded him again about two rules and told him, if he broke the rules, we won't let him go again next time.

Then just before 8pm, he called my husband to pick him up at 8.30pm instead because he wanted to have dinner first, but since my husband hasn't had dinner yet after his church ministry, he decided to join our son and they did some talking.
My husband probed him about who were his friends, whether his friends were really coming etc.

And it proved that I was wrong, there were 3 of them playing pokemon games. What relieved me was he kept his promises on those two rules. It turned out that his other 2 friends were from chinese class. And when I asked him about their chinese test scores, he said that they were fail.
I was stunned and my motherly thought was oh no, did he befriend with the wrong group of friends ?

My husband quickly calmed me down and told me that those kids may not make it in academic, but they were fun people and who knows they may be successful people in the future. What important is we put the right value in our sons regardless whom he befriends with. He needs to have his own principles and knows what is wrong and right.

As I listened to my husband, I was pondering too and realised my mistakes.
I was quickly to judge others based on the appearance and without realising it, I planted the wrong value to our children. When we judge the children as good and bad, smart and not smart, we subconsciously labelled them which in fact they were innocent.

I don't want my children to grow up with judgemental values. What my husband said is true, our job is to protect our children by not limiting his circle of friends but by putting the right value since young.
Soon or later, we couldn't control them especially in this social media era, we thought we know them but actually we don't.

As long as we have open communication with them, they are honest with us, and in respond, we accept them as they are, their mistakes and learn to grow together with them, we are on the right track.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Valentine's Day 2023

This year's valentine is special. It's not just any celebration but it's a celebration of victory and marks the beginning of "new adventure". By God's grace and mercy, we reconciled during ME retreat last weekend. We were able to go back to where we were before the incident. I am full of love and able to share everything to hubby again. He becomes my best friend again, and it seems that love conquers all. And another challenge is now about "time". This first quarter is very busy period for me, traveling back and forth to Jakarta for business. Leaving my hubby and the kids behind is not a nice feeling eventhough there's a good thing on the other side of the coin as we are not taking each other for granted. As my gift of love, I want to give my precious time whenever I am available in Singapore to my hubby and the kids, thus in this valentine's day, I curated love coupons that he can redeem. Hopefully, this is something that can help us to comm

New Year Eve 2022

I am planning to hibernate during New Year Eve, sit down and doing some reflections and thinking about New Year resolutions, alas things may not happen according to my plan. I am very tired physically from the Malaysia trip. What I really want to do just sleep in and do nothing but what make me tired mentally is we fight over trivial matters. It started well this morning, we brought the kids out to West Coast for breakfast and strolled in the park. Hubby asked me what will be the plan for today as he wanted to give some year end speeches to the kids. I told him, I had no plan at all as I was very tired. I just wanted to stay at home and rest. He was quiet but I didn't notice it as I was quiet too to reflect what I have done this year and what will be my new year resolutions. When we went home everything was normal, I asked our helper to clean our car and did grocery for next week meals. While waiting the car wash done, I wrote this blog about our Malaysia trip. After she's done

Dreams come true - Cappadocia (day 7)

This is the highlight of Cappadocia which is hot air balloon ride. As it depends a lot on the weather, we were lucky that we could fly to watch sunrise. We were picked up around 5.30am in the morning to Urgup area and arrived 20 mins later. They provided us with light breakfast while they lit up the balloon.  We started riding it around 6.20am and it's so breathtaking to see the Goreme area and hundreds of balloon joining us. The sunrise is around 7am and by 7.30am we already landed safely.  We had champagne celebration and received certificate too and returned back to our hotel for breakfast. Around 10am, we were picked up for Green Valley tour. Stopped by at Goreme Panorama and Pigeon valley for photo spots. After that, we went to Underground city where Anatolian people lived underground to survive from natural disaster and dangers. It's amazing how they build the houses and lived there for a long period of time. Then, we continued our tour to Selime Monastery and Cathedral w