Skip to main content

Assumptions is the Opposite of Communication


Yesterday was a great day to start in the beginning. Both of us planned to have evening exercise together.
However, when I picked him up in the evening just before exercise, my mood turned upside down.
When he came in to the car, he told me that his boss asked him about the car since the company had given him a car allowance and yet he never rode the car to the office.

Prior to that, we already had an issue who's going to use the car next year.
In my own thought, I feel that this car will be useful to move around then just stay and do nothing in the office.
However, his thought is the opposite, he feels that as a sales manager, probably the highest paid in the office, he's entitled to have car and yet he needs to take the company bus as well as other inconveniences.

At first, I assumed that he's a changed man after entering this company.
Yes, there's no pressure, and this is the dream company that he wants so I assumed that he became complacent in faith and his pride and ego took over him.
I felt so sad and disappointed and prayed that God opened his heart.
It seemed like He answered my prayer, during his recent business trip in Jakarta, he lost a deal with the company that he thought he already had controlled.

So when he shared his recent business trip story, I felt that hey, God's telling you that don't overestimate yourself, whatever we had is not ours, it's just gift and temporary that's why we need to be a good steward.
And I hinted him again, about who's going to use the car next year. He again, persistence in his decision that he's going to use the car and the kid will use school bus.
I just kept quiet and I thought okay, I respected his decision.

I followed his instruction and asked the school for school bus contact to ask the fee.
It's crazy because there's 50% increment from last year.
So we decided that I will continue to use the car and he will use it occasionally.

However, thing suddenly changed yesterday.
After telling me that there's no other option since the boss has been asking about it, he needs the car next year even though it will stay in the office and do nothing.
I was shocked and needed some times to calm myself down and tried to figure out the new arrangements.
I just kept quiet after exercise and during dinner, and he already felt something amiss.

So he exploded and raised the voices.
I just kept quiet because it's all too sudden and I couldn't just tell him my feeling yet.

In the end, after both of us calming down, we started the conversation to express our feeling and discovered that all awhile we misunderstood each other because we made assumption instead of telling the truth about what we think and feel.

After a long day, finally we had reach a conclusion that he will bring the car 3x a week and me 2x a week and we guess it's a fair arrangement.

Lesson learned :




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Valentine's Day 2023

This year's valentine is special. It's not just any celebration but it's a celebration of victory and marks the beginning of "new adventure". By God's grace and mercy, we reconciled during ME retreat last weekend. We were able to go back to where we were before the incident. I am full of love and able to share everything to hubby again. He becomes my best friend again, and it seems that love conquers all. And another challenge is now about "time". This first quarter is very busy period for me, traveling back and forth to Jakarta for business. Leaving my hubby and the kids behind is not a nice feeling eventhough there's a good thing on the other side of the coin as we are not taking each other for granted. As my gift of love, I want to give my precious time whenever I am available in Singapore to my hubby and the kids, thus in this valentine's day, I curated love coupons that he can redeem. Hopefully, this is something that can help us to comm

New Year Eve 2022

I am planning to hibernate during New Year Eve, sit down and doing some reflections and thinking about New Year resolutions, alas things may not happen according to my plan. I am very tired physically from the Malaysia trip. What I really want to do just sleep in and do nothing but what make me tired mentally is we fight over trivial matters. It started well this morning, we brought the kids out to West Coast for breakfast and strolled in the park. Hubby asked me what will be the plan for today as he wanted to give some year end speeches to the kids. I told him, I had no plan at all as I was very tired. I just wanted to stay at home and rest. He was quiet but I didn't notice it as I was quiet too to reflect what I have done this year and what will be my new year resolutions. When we went home everything was normal, I asked our helper to clean our car and did grocery for next week meals. While waiting the car wash done, I wrote this blog about our Malaysia trip. After she's done

Dreams come true - Cappadocia (day 7)

This is the highlight of Cappadocia which is hot air balloon ride. As it depends a lot on the weather, we were lucky that we could fly to watch sunrise. We were picked up around 5.30am in the morning to Urgup area and arrived 20 mins later. They provided us with light breakfast while they lit up the balloon.  We started riding it around 6.20am and it's so breathtaking to see the Goreme area and hundreds of balloon joining us. The sunrise is around 7am and by 7.30am we already landed safely.  We had champagne celebration and received certificate too and returned back to our hotel for breakfast. Around 10am, we were picked up for Green Valley tour. Stopped by at Goreme Panorama and Pigeon valley for photo spots. After that, we went to Underground city where Anatolian people lived underground to survive from natural disaster and dangers. It's amazing how they build the houses and lived there for a long period of time. Then, we continued our tour to Selime Monastery and Cathedral w